Below is a great article from American Home magazine published in April 1899. We have added a portion
of the 1907 Atlas of Yonkers so it would be easy to locate where the initial homes were built.
Noteworthy is that several of these beautiful homes still exist today in restored condition. They are
located on Odell avenue and on Hawley Terrace. A photograph of 30 Hawley Terrace as it appears today
exquisitely restored is included below.
the immense generousity of both Harriman and Hawley further below on this page. Did you know that Mr. Harriman not only built
the Greystone Station at his own expense (Formerly the Harriman Station), but went further and donated the land under it to
the City of Yonkers!
The original Harriman railroad station pictured above is the Location of today's Metro North Greystone
station on the Hudson Line. And below is a photo of the newly renamed "Greystone" station just after the addition
of the "bridge" in 1915.
The home above is located at 30 Hawley Terrace.
The home pictured above was located at 1032 Warburton. Sadly, it was demolished in the 1980's and was
replaced by an apartment house.
The home above was located at 1040 Warburton Avenue. It was purchased by the Armstrong family in 1902.
It was home to Edwin Armstrong the inventor of FM Radio. Sadly it burned in the 1980's and was replaced by an apartment house.
The rock wall however does still remain.
1907 Map of Harriman and the Hawley and Harriman Subdivision
Above is a photo of 1040 and 1032 Warburton in 1901.
The two photographs above are of 30 Hawley Terrace. 1899 (left) and 2010 (right).
The two photographs below: Left: the original plans of noted “pattern book” architect,
George F. Barber (1858-1915) used by Harriman and Hawley in the construction of 30 Odelll Avenue (courtesy of Architect Chris
Dimattei). Right:the home today in beautiful restored condition.
A look at John Savage Hawley and Charles Harriman
The Victorian Residence of John Savage Hawley. Mr. Hawley was a highly
successful businessman in the confectionary trade, a developer and another "Saint of Yonkers" who gave back to society
in many important and selfless ways. After witnessing a tragic accident, in 1896 he established an industrial farm school
for homeless wayward and neglected boys to teach them to become law abiding respectable citizens. (It still exists today)
Together with Charles Harriman, he built the Harriman train station (Greystone) for the convenience of local residents. Below
was his residence on Warburton Avenue. It is still in existence today!
Charles Harriman donated the land to the City of Yonkers and
built and donated the station at Greystone at a cost to him of $6,500 in 1899 (The station that formerly was named after him)
Click Here to see more photos